Wednesday, June 12th, 2019


worcestershire all-rounder wayne parnell again asked questions of the lancashire batting line-up with a two wicket burst on day three of the specsavers county championship match at New Road.

the south african player sent back alex davies (24) and rob jones (0) with successive deliveries in his opening over and his spell produced figures of 7-1-18-2.

it followed on from his 63 and five wicket return in lancashire’s first innings when the sides met at emirates old trafford last month.

parnell had suffered a hamstring injury in that fixture but looked fully fit on his return to action.

club captain joe leach had earlier dismissed keaton jennings (6) with the new ball and lancashire at one stage stood on 32-3 in reply to worcestershire’s 98 all out.

but liam livingstone (53 not out) and haseeb hameed (22 not out) shared in an unbroken stand of 78 to take lancashire to 110-3 before bad light halted play.

play finally got underway at 2.10pm – the first action since the players left the pitch at 2.30pm on the first day after worcestershire had been dismissed in 38.1 overs

more than 1,100 gallons of water were pumped off the outfield today after more heavy overnight rain.

the home side needed to make early inroads after being bowled out so cheaply and leach struck in his third over when he trapped jennings (6) lbw.

parnell came into the attack and immediately brought about a double breakthrough.

davies went for a drive and inside edged a delivery from the left armer onto his back pad and through to keeper ben cox.

parnell picked up another scalp when jones pushed forward and was beaten by a ball which hit his off stump.

liam livingstone survived the hat-trick ball and then began to flourish in partnership with haseeb hameed.

it was a proud moment for worcestershire debutant adam finch when he was handed his first bowl after replacing leach (7-3-10-1).

livingstone completed his fifty shortly after tea with a single off leach and his 68 ball knock contained eight fours and a six.

but the players left the field shortly afterwards as the light deteriorated.