Sunday, May 28th, 2017

Super Worcs March On With Fourth Successive Win

Super Worcs March On With Fourth Successive Win

Super Worcestershire equalled their best start to a County Championship campaign for 53 years as they defeated Northamptonshire by eight wickets inside three days at Wantage Road.

The County maintained their 100% start to 2017  in the competition with a fourth successive win – the first time they have achieved that notable feat at the start of a campaign since the Championship winning season of 1964.

Worcestershire had to chase down a target of 148 after bowling out the home side in their second innings shortly after tea.

They were left 24 overs today to chase their target but were granted the extra eight overs by umpires Martin Saggers and Patrick Gustard.

Once again in form batsman Daryl Mitchell played a key part as he followed up his first innings 161 with a 68 ball half century.

He ended the game in spectacular fashion with four, six, four, four off Steven Cook and was unbeaten on 78 from 78 balls with 12 fours and a six.

Joe Clarke also showed some good form in making an unbeaten 34 during an unbroken partnership of 97 in 16 overs with Mitchell.

But once again it was a notable team effort that secured victory.

Earlier Nathan Lyon with three wickets and Jack Shantry and Ed Barnard with two apiece had been largely responsible for dismissing Northants.

Northants resumed on 53-2 with Ben Duckett on 25 and nightwatchman Nathan Buck on six.

Duckett had an early let off when he pulled Josh Tongue and the ball just eluded Jack Shantry at fine leg.

Buck then edged Tongue in between keeper Ben Cox and first slip Tom Kohler-Cadmore for four.

Shantry replaced Joe Leach and the third ball of his spell accounted for Buck (14) who drilled the ball straight to Barnard at mid off.

Duckett went to his half century off 72 balls with nine fours and when on 59 Barnard was just unable to grasp a one handed catch at short extra cover off Leach.

Lyon came into the attack at 124-3 and in his first over Duckett (67) went for the sweep shot and was lbw for 67.

The Australian spinner settled into a lengthy spell and Levi on nine came perilously close to chopping the Australian onto his stumps.

Levi on 28 was struck on the helmet by Tongue and needed treatment so the two umpires Martin Saggers and Patrick Gustard wisely brought the players off for lunch instead of waiting to complete the over.

Levi went to hospital via ambulance for a check-up and did not bat again after suffering from concussion.

Lyon enjoyed a second success when Adam Rossington (23) tried to work the ball to the on side and was smartly stumped down the leg side by Cox.

Keogh straight drove Leach for four to reach his half century off 95 balls with seven fours.

Crook (18) fell to Shantry as Leach pouched the catch at mid on..

Rory Kleinveldt raced to 43 off 36 balls before he lofted Lyon to Shantry at long on.

Barnard wrapped up the innings with two wickets in two overs shortly after tea.

Graeme White (19) played on and then Ben Sanderson (4) was caught and bowled to leave Keogh unbeaten on a fine 88 from 166 balls with nine fours.

Worcestershire made a positive start with Mitchell and Brett D'Oliveira putting on 38 in eight overs before the former on 13 was caught and bowled by Kleinveldt.

Then Tom Fell (11) turned Kleinveldt powerfully off his legs and was unfortunate to find the hands of Crook at short mid wicket at 54-2.

But then Mitchell and Clarke hurried Worcestershire to victory.