Tuesday, August 18th, 2015

Rapids Go Down By 49 Runs In Final One-Day Cup Encounter

Rapids Go Down By 49 Runs In Final One-Day Cup Encounter

Worcestershire Rapids went down by 49 runs after being set a revised 231 target in 48 overs in their final Royal London One-Day Cup clash of 2015 against Derbyshire Falcons at the 3aaa County Ground today.

Charlie Morris picked up three wickets and Alex Hepburn followed up the four on his debut against Leicestershire with another two scalps.

The role of the spinners were equally important with Brett D'Oliveira and Saeed Ajmal conceding a combined tally of 73 runs in 20 overs as Derbyshire reached 234-8 in 50 overs.

But Worcestershire lost wickets at regular intervals and were bowled out for 181 after a short rain break had altered their original target.

Tom Fell batted well for 46 and there was plenty of promise shown by the two 19-year-olds in Hepburn – in his first List A innings – and Ed Barnard in making 32 and 30 respectively during an eighth wicket stand of 48 in seven overs.

Worcestershire rested skipper Daryl Mitchell, keeper Ben Cox and pace duo Jack Shantry and Joe Leach with Alex Gidman leading the side and Joe Clarke taking over behind the stumps.

Derbyshire, fielding eight of the players who had played in a recent Second Eleven Trophy match against Worcestershire Seconds at Flagge Meadow, elected to bat.

Openers Billy Godleman and Wes Durston put on 43 before the former on 13 had his leg stump knocked out of the ground by Morris.

Hepburn came into the attack and struck twice in the space of two overs.

First he deflected a straight drive from Tilakaratne Dilshan straight drive onto the stumps at the non striker's end to run out Durston for 41.

Then Clarke took a sharp catch standing up to Hepburn to dismiss Wayne Madsen for a duck.

It became 76-4 when Ajmal's first delivery trapped Dilshan (14) lbw.

Scott Elstone and Shiv Thakor repaired the Derbyshire innings with a stand of 93 in 20.2 overs.

Elstone went to his half century off 65 balls but on 52 he tried to flick Morris on the leg side and was adjudged lbw.

Thakor reached his half century off 78 deliveries but wickets were now falling again at regular intervals.

Morris enjoyed a third success when he bowled Alex Hughes (6) and then Tom Poynton (3) was caught and bowled by Barnard after being deceived by a slower ball.

Thakor was eighth out for 68 off 98 balls with five fours when Barnard clung onto a good sliding catch running in from long off from the bowling of Hepburn.

The final bowling figures were Barnard 9-0-47-1, Morris 10-0-46-3, Hepburn 9-1-44-2, D'Oliveira 10-1-34-0, Ajmal 10-0-39-1 and Whiteley 2-0-14-0.

When the Rapids began their reply, Richard Oliver pulled Ben Cotton for a boundary but after making 12 he dragged a delivery from Mark Footitt onto his stumps with the total on 22.

Rain then halted play on 29-1 after 8.2 overs at 3pm with Tom Kohler-Cadmore unbeaten on 15.

When the players returned, the Rapids needed a revised target of 231 from 48 overs and quickly lost two more wickets.

Kohler-Cadmore (20) went for a big drive and was caught behind by Poynton standing up in Thakor's first over.

Joe Clarke was looking for his fourth successive 50 plus score in the competition but after making six he ran himself out.

He played a delivery from Thakor to point, set off for a single, was sent back by Tom Fell and failed to beat Elstone's throw to the keeper to leave the Rapids on 51-3 in the 17th over.

Fell looked in good touch, pulling leg spinner Matt Critchley for a four and six, and added 44 in 11 overs with stand-in skipper Alex Gidman.

Alex Hughes broke the stand when Gidman (15) was caught by Madsen at mid off from a leading edge.

Ross Whiteley made 10 against his former county before going for a big hit against off spinner Wes Durston and being caught at deep square leg.

The Rapids hopes now rested with Fell but after making 46 he departed in the same fashion to give Durston another success with the total 113-6 in the 33rd over.

Nine runs later D'Oliveira (5) became the second run out victim of the innings after Hepburn turned Thakor to Elstone at short third man.

Resistance then came from Barnard and Hepburn who showed plenty of enterprise in an eight wicket stand of 48.

Barnard made 30 from 22 balls before he holed out to Madsen at deep mid wicket off Footitt.

Hepburn struck 32 off 34 deliveries and it needed a superb catch by Alex Hughes in the deep, running back and taking the ball full length over his shoulder, to end his knock from the bowling of Thakor.

It was Thakor who ended the contest when Ajmal (1) was pouched on the boundary by Elstone.