Thursday, July 31st, 2014

Rain Has Final Say In Home One-Day Cup Clash With Derbyshire

Worcestershire's Royal London One-Day Cup clash with Derbyshire Falcons at New Road was abandoned after heavy rain fell during the early stages of the visitors reply to a 262 target.

Derbyshire had reached 37-0 from 7.4 overs when the heavens opened at 3.15pm and further outbursts of rain left umpires Martin Saggers and Michael Gough with no option to call the game off.

Worcestershire and table-topping Derbyshire both collected one point apiece.

The home side now have three points from their opening three matches after losing to Essex Eagles and defeating Northamptonshire Steelbacks in the opening two matches.

Worcestershire's next outing in the competition will be a week today when they take on Yorkshire Vikings at Headingley.

But now the focus will switch to the quarter-final of the NatWest T20 Blast against Surrey Lions at the Kia Oval on Saturday.

Tom Kohler-Cadmore and Ross Whiteley figured in a fine century partnership for the fourth wicket after Worcestershire had been put in.

Kohler-Cadmore and Whiteley rescued the home side after they had again lost early wickets in reaching 73-4 in the 22nd over.

The fifth wicket pair plundered 114 in 18 overs and then a typically aggressive late order knock from Ben Cox helped them to reach 261 all out in 49 overs.

Worcestershire were put into bat and opener Richard Oliver (2) was caught at point in Tom Taylor's first over with a delivery which stopped on him.

Skipper Daryl Mitchell (26) again looked in good form although he had one slice of luck when Billy Godleman misjudged a catch at square leg off Mark Footitt.

But in the final over of the initial 10 over powerplay he was strangled down the leg-side and caught by keeper Gareth Cross off Taylor.

Tom Fell played some pleasing strokes in making 23 before driving Footitt to Marcus North at mid off.

It became 73-4 when Alexei Kervezee (15) chipped Alex Hughes to mid on where Billy Godleman held onto a head high catch.

Former Derbyshire player Whiteley raced to 53 off 49 balls with two sixes and five fours before he was caught off a skier at cover to give Taylor a third wicket.

It was Whiteley's third half century inside the last week and lifted the total to 187-5 in the 40th over.

Kohler-Cadmore gave more evidence of his growing maturity as a player and the 19-year-old had made 71 from 84 balls with seven fours when he was bowled by Hughes attempting to work the ball on the leg side.

Joe Leach was run out for six going for a second run to long on off Tony Palladino but then Cox provided some late momentum with 39 off 24 balls with five fours.

His innings ended when he cut Footitt to point and then the same bowler dismissed Shaaiq Choudhry (6) and Charlie Morris (0).