Tuesday, August 31st, 2021


Ben Parker and captain Charlie Morris took the honours with the ball for Worcestershire Seconds, who are in a strong position at the halfway stage of their four-day game with Leicestershire Seconds at Stourport-on-Severn.

Morris made a decisive three-wicket burst post-lunch after Leicestershire had reached 71-1 in reply to Worcestershire’s first innings total of 255.

Parker then worked his way through the lower order, and he produced his best figures for the Seconds of 11-4-24-4.

Leicestershire lost their last nine wickets for 76 runs in being dismissed for 147 in 54.3 overs – a first-innings deficit of 108.

Morris finished with 14-2-42-3, Jacques Banton 6.3-2-7-2 and Mitchell Stanley, back from injury, 9-3-23-1.

Worcestershire openers Ismail Mohammed and Rehaan Edavalath negotiated 5.1 overs in reaching 7-0 before bad light, and then rain ended play for the day at 5.15pm.

Worcestershire Seconds resumed on 230-9, and the 10th wicket pair of triallist Ben Gibbon and Mitchell Stanley added a further 25 runs in 7.3 overs this morning.

Pip Jackson claimed his fifth wicket of the innings when Gibbon (24) was caught behind down the legside to leave Stanley 11 not out.

Former Worcestershire all-rounder, George Rhodes, made 22 off 28 balls but then edged paceman Parker to Josh Dickenson at second slip.

Leicestershire reached 67-1 at lunch, but then Morris struck twice in the space of five balls.

Ajay Khunti (33) nicked a delivery from the long-serving paceman and was safely taken by Henry Cullen at third slip.

Then in his next over, Scott Steel (2) pushed firmly and was bowled with the total on 77-3.

There was another breakthrough for Morris as Max Law (31) aimed a blow towards the leg side and was lbw.

Leicestershire reached 122-4, but the wickets started to tumble rapidly after Cullen held onto his second catch, this time low at slip to account for Sam Wood (19) off Banton.

Nathan Bowley (4) was caught behind down the legside off Stanley, and then Parker enjoyed a three-wicket burst.

He bowled Roman Walker (1) had Alex Evans (1) caught behind, and then James Funnell (5) chopped onto his stumps.

Stanley then pulled off a fine one-handed diving catch at deep mid-on to dismiss Vikai Kelley (22) to wrap up the innings and give Banton his second scalp.