Wednesday, May 7th, 2014

Match Report: Glamorgan V Worcestershire Day 3

Match Report: Glamorgan V Worcestershire Day 3

Day 3


Worcestershire skipper Daryl Mitchell's magnificent start to the season continued as he registered his second century of the game in the LV = County Championship clash with Glamorgan at the Swalec Stadium.

Mitchell followed up his 109 in the first innings – when he was the last man out – by reaching three figures off 196 balls in the table-topping county's push for a third win in four games.

He eventually finished unbeaten on 151 from 242 balls and his 311 minute knock contained 14 fours and one six before declaring on 296-6 and setting Glamorgan a 382 target.

Then Gareth Andrew struck an early blow in bowling Glamorgan opener Jacques Rudolph (4) with six on the board in the third over.

It was his 19th wicket of the campaign as Glamorgan closed on 14-1 from five overs.

In the process of his innings, 30-year-old Mitchell passed 500 first class runs for the campaign.

Mitchell had also scored 172 not out in the opening game of the campaign at Hampshire and he again showed great powers of concentration.

In the current match he has been at the wicket for a total of 715 minutes – just five minutes short of 12 hours – and faced 565 deliveries. Mitchell has also been on the field every minute of the game.

Worcestershire resumed on 20-0 and Matt Pardoe (7) survived one dropped chance before falling to a tumbling catch by Mark Wallack off Graham Wagg.

Tom Kohler-Cadmore (11) was trapped lbw by Jim Allenby for the second time in the game with 51 on the board.

Mitchell was joined by Alex Hales, on loan from Nottinghamshire, and he hit Will Owen for six over deep square leg and four as ther lead moved past the 200 mark.

Mitchell reached his 50 off 109 balls with five fours with a single off Dean Cosker and by lunch had moved onto 60 with Hales unbeaten on 43 out of 128-2.

Hales went to his half century with a boundary off Cosker from 72 deliveries and it contained six fours and a six.

That boundary also brought up the 100 partnership with Mitchell in just 26 overs.

The stand was broken when Hales was stumped by Wallace after sweeping at Cosker for 63 but not before the stand was worth 134 in 36 overs.

Mitchell moved to three figures shortly afterwards and Alexei Kervezee came in with aggressive intentions as he raced to 32 off 24 balls before being caught at long on and becoming another Cosker victim.

The Dutch international added 58 in only 10 overs with his skipper.

By tea Mitchell had advanced onto 140 out of 272-4 with the lead extended to 357.

But rain prevented Worcestershire from consolidating their position of considerable strength for two hours until play resumed at 6pm with 12 overs remaining.

Ross Whitely (6) and Gareth Andrew (8) perished in the search for quick runs before the declaration with five overs remaining.