Wednesday, August 25th, 2021


Worcestershire batsman Jake Libby warmed up for the return of LV=Insurance County Championship cricket to New Road with a century in the Second Eleven Championship (SEC) match with Warwickshire.

Libby, the second highest run-scorer in the country so far this summer in the County Championship, marked his first SEC game for Worcestershire by making a typically accomplished hundred.

There were also valuable contributions from Daryl Mitchell, Gareth Roderick and Ed Barnard ahead of the County Championship match with Sussex, which begins at New Road next Monday.

Warwickshire were left a 477 target and had reached 81-1 by the close of the third of four days, with Club Captain Joe Leach taking the one wicket to fall.

Worcestershire resumed on 129-2 from 37 overs in their second innings – an overall lead of 285 – with Libby unbeaten on 69.

Tom Fell (16) lost his middle stump after pushing forward to Manraj Johal (16), with 48 added to the overnight total.

Libby, who has hit three County Championship hundreds this season, looked full of assurance and a square cut for his 14th boundary off Johal enabled him to complete his century off 156 balls.

He then brought up the 200 with a straight six off Warwickshire captain and spinner Jacob Bethell.

Libby went onto make 132 before his fine knock ended when he came down the wicket to Karl Carver and was bowled.

His 190-ball knock contained two sixes and 18 fours.

Jack Haynes and wicket-keeper batsman Roderick joined forces and saw Worcestershire through to 228-4 at lunch.

Haynes (19) was caught at long-on off Michael Booth, and Chris Woakes took the new ball at 252-5 from 80 overs.

Barnard accompanied Roderick in adding 81 in untroubled fashion from 27.4 overs.

Having made 42 off 112 balls, Roderick was leg before to Booth, at which point Leach declared on 320-6 to leave Barnard unbeaten on 40 from 76 deliveries.

Warwickshire were left with four sessions to bat and began their second innings immediately after tea.

Leach made the first breakthrough in the seventh over when Amir Khan (6) attempted to play a delivery with an angled bat and was caught by Daryl Mitchell at second slip.

Hamza Sheikh (55) and Chris Woakes (10) saw the Bears through to the close without being parted in an unbroken stand of 61.