Monday, July 15th, 2019


Ed Barnard was again amongst the wickets for Worcestershire on day three of the Specsavers County Championship match with Durham at the Emirates Riverside.

The all-rounder picked up four more wickets before Durham declared on 290-8.

He finished with figures of 25-5-79-4 and a match analysis of 41.2-8-121-8.

It took his wicket tally to 21 in the last four games with Sussex, Glamorgan, Derbyshire and now Durham.

Worcestershire were set a 352 target and closed the day on 31-3 with Callum Ferguson and Ross Whiteley the not out batsmen.

Durham resumed this morning on 26-0 from 11 overs and skipper Cameron Bancroft and Alex Lees posted a 50 partnership in 21.3 overs.

But two balls later Barnard made the first breakthrough.

The all-rounder moved a delivery away from Bancroft (28) and keeper Ben Cox standing up held onto the chance.

Lees and Gareth Harte added 47 in 12 overs before Dillon Pennington struck for Worcestershire with the total on 103.

Lees on 40 was bowled via the inside edge with a delivery which came back into him.

Harte and Jack Burnham were given little to hit by the Worcestershire attack and only 17 runs came off 10 overs after Lees dismissal.

At lunch Harte was on 18 and Burnham 10 out of 120-2 from 44 overs.

Worcestershire skipper Joe Leach had figures of 16-6-21-0, Pennington 8-1-15-0, Barnard 8-2-38-1, Charlie Morris 8-5-14-0 and Ross Whiteley 4-0-15-0.

The wickets began to tumble when play resumed for the afternoon session.

Harte, having made 19 off 80 balls, lost his off bail to Barnard who then accounted for Graham Clark (6) after he chopped on.

It became 142-5 in the next over with Ryan Pringle (1) lbw to Morris.

Burnham batted with freedom and made 76 off 107 balls with one six and 11 fours when he drilled Ross Whiteley to Ferguson at mid wicket.

After tea, Ben Raine and Ned Eckersley added 50 for the seventh wicket before the fell to Leach and Barnard respectively, both bowled with the latter edging a delivery onto his stumps.

Durham paceman Chris Rushworth dismissed Daryl Mitchell (1) for his 50th first class wicket of the season and then also bowled Riki Wessels (0) and trapped Josh Dell (0) lbw.

But Ferguson and Whiteley fought hard in the final part of the day to ensure there were no further breakthroughs.

Club captain Joe Leach said: “It was another tough day unfortunately. It’s difficult to see how we’ve managed to conspire to get ourselves in this position, having had them 47-6 at lunch on day one.

“We’ve got a lot of hard work to do tomorrow to try first and foremost to save this game and see where that takes us. When you’re behind in the game sometimes you need everything to go your way.

“It’s not an excuse, we’ve put ourselves in this position. Fair play to Durham, I thought that they battled really well. Jack Burnham played a good innings, chancing his arm and he got away with it to move them into a safe zone.

“We’ve got to battle as hard as we can, we’ve got seven wickets remaining and everyone has got to value them as highly as they possibly can to make it difficult for the Durham bowlers.”