on michaelmas day 1898, paul foley’s 21-year lease at £255 per year, of college meadows (formerly known as paine’s, or paynes meadows, and later as chapter meadows), from worcester cathedral dean and chapter, came into operation.
foley had leased 76 acres two rods 37 poles (about 31 hectares), of which he sub-let 65 acres, buildings and yard to farmer, ww grundy, for the yearly tenancy and rent of £150, subject to increasing to £200.
paul foley, who was worcestershire county cricket club secretary, also sub-leased 11 acres to worcestershire county cricket club for £40 a year for 21 years, via trustees, e bromley-martin, ae lord and hc jobson.
consent was given for wccc to erect a pavilion in the meadow adjoining the new road.
foley – after whom the current ‘foley’s coffee house and eatery at New Road was named – was also permitted (under certain conditions) to erect a permanent iron screen between new road and the cricket ground.
he was also given permission to construct iron fencing along the river severn’s west bank from the bridge down the first three fields.
subsequently, the worcestershire county cricket supporters’ association purchased the new road county ground for worcestershire ccc from the cathedral dean and chapter for £30,000 in 1976-77.
*thanks to andrew thomas – author of ‘pears 150’ for the above information